Saturday, July 4, 2009

Juneau what? I'm in Alaska...

OK, I didn't think of that title myself, but I did see it on a T-shirt in a store. It gave me a laugh when I first saw it.

After arriving in Alaska, our NLC class has hiked on, slept on, and climbed on the beautiful Mendenhall Glacier. We had three fantastic guides named Corey, Dawn, and Ed who were extremely helpful in assisting us in our quest to conquer the Mendenhall Glacier by instructing us how to use ice-axes while hiking/climbing and how to put crampons on your hiking boots so you don't slip and fall on the ice.

After leaving the Mendenhall Glacier, we checked into the Driftwood Lodge. Not the greatest motel, but it was perfect for somebody who hasn't had a shower and slept in a bed for a VERY long time.

Yesterday, we crossed the bridge over the Gastineau Channel to Douglas Island, where our wonderful hosts, Bev and Kurt, fed us dinner and provided us fun activities like hanging out on the beach and using a SeaCycle paddle boat. We also had a really good testimony teen-led testimony meeting, and the annual fireworks show ended the night with a bang (literally!).

Other people have to blog, so I need to get going. I can't wait for the kayak trip!

No comments: